WILLIAM C. GOUDY TECHNOLOGY ACADEMY

A major addition designed to relate seamlessly with an historic 1920’s Chicago Public School. The 44,600 SF addition provided new classrooms, administration offices and multipurpose room.

Project Details

The William C. Goudy Technology Academy is located in the Uptown neighborhood of Chicago, and had been filled beyond capacity for many years. As part of the Chicago Public Schools capital improvement program, Goudy received funding for a major building addition. This was carefully designed using masonry detailing sympathetic to the original building. Maintaining the craftsmanship of the limestone and brickwork detailing was essential in reorientation of the new entry. The primary parent and child access to the school was designed to be fully accessible and securely monitored. The addition further resolved upper floor accessibility issues to permit access to all educational spaces.

CHALLENGES

The new addition houses a large multi-purpose room, resource center, computer center, and classrooms. The existing kitchen and cafeteria functions were relocated into the new multi-purpose room. A bronze statue of the cougar (the school’s mascot) by artist John Kearney that is perched on the parapet of the addition was commissioned by the alderman of the ward, and is complemented by a ground-level sculpture of the cougar’s two cubs.

RELATED PROJECTS